Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Truth be Told



Spirit houses are found on just about every property here in Thailand: public, private, or business.  These little shrines are meant to house any spirits that might be misplaced and wandering about, a combination of Buddhism and animism.


Every morning or sometime during the day they will burn incense and give offerings to the spirits, praying specifically to two of the most important:  the Guardian of the House and the Guardian of the Land.  Here is a picture of some offerings:


Offerings could be anything, usually including: trinkets, drinks, snacks, candles, flower garlands.  The gaudier the better! This one apparently is appeased by strawberry Fanta.

Taxi drivers turn their dashes into miniature shrines like this...
 
In every taxi or bus we have ridden in we have been accompanied by a miniture Buddha figurine watching out the windshield from the dashboard and flower garlands draped over the rearview mirror.  Some have had painted symbols on the ceiling...for good luck?
 
A beautiful country with beautiful people!  We have been struck by their friendliness, kindness, and gentle demeanors.  I love Thailand--it has stolen a piece of my heart! But this dark shroud of lies makes me ache for a nation that is far from the truth. 
 
Can I say that?  I must. 
If I believe that Jesus is the Way and the Truth, all others who claim the same are lies. 
 
I must proclaim this loudly because of our daughter.  This is her heritage but this is not her heritage. Here orphans and disabled are seen as less, ostrisized by community because they are a result of someone's bad karma. 
 
Lies.
 
The truth is that Pip was on God's heart before she was conceived.  And though because of sin, she was left orphaned, God has redeemed, restored, and ransomed her life through Jesus' blood.  She is a result of God's handiwork, crafted by the master, and highly valued by her maker.
 
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. 1 Peter 1:3-4
 

3 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

Sarah, have you heard the song "God of This City"? It was written in Pattaya, Thailand! I think it resonates with what you are saying, and I always continue to pray for my son's homeland.

unspkblejoy said...

Thank you for reminding me about that...I will be singing that song with new vigor!

Jay and Chandra and Penny Regan said...

So neat to have found you on FB and your blog! I also love the Lord Jesus and have an adopted daughter from Thailand. My family (parents, brothers, nieces, etc.) live in Sioux Falls. Would love to keep in touch!